Friday, August 10, 2007

The old me

Aunt Aida left this afternoon to go back to New Jersey. All week she regaled us with the latest tsismis from the town where I grew up. There are so many changes and I was just amazed at how things could be different and the same at the same time. Most of my friends have graduated college and are now on graduate schools or have jobs. Most, as you might guess, have become nurses. A few have gone to med school.
I miss them all. I haven't returned to my hometown since moving here in Florida.

I began to wonder about the past.
About who I was then and who I am now.
Then, I was straight or rather denying the fact that I was even gay. I used to have a girlfriend whom I loved. But it just wasn't for me. She knew about me and played along.

Although I don't like my current location now, it really enabled me to find myself. I moved here and had no friends, no relatives except for my parents. I had nothing going for me. That's when I came out to myself. I know who I am.

Perhaps the next time I move others will know the real me. And I won't feel the need to hide anymore.

There's a time for everything.

No comments: