Thursday, November 22, 2007

Thanksgiving

Every fourth Thursday in November, an annual holiday here in the US takes place called Thanksgiving.
"The U.S. Congress in 1941 split the difference and passed a bill requiring that Thanksgiving be observed annually on the fourth Thursday of November, which was sometimes the last Thursday and sometimes (less frequently) the next to last. On November 26 of that year President Roosevelt signed this bill, for the first time making the date of Thanksgiving a matter of federal law."

-Wikipedia

It's a day when people are suppose to slow down and reflect on their lives, be thankful for what they have, and rest before the Holiday Season. It's really much more than just eating Turkey, watching the Macy's Parade, and pardoning Turkeys. It's about reconnecting with families, friends, and with ourselves. My Dad (Stepdad) loves Thanksgiving and it's his favorite Holiday.


This year I cooked, yet again.

I made Turkey, stuffing, glazed carrots, sauteed peas, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, asparagus with Hollandaise sauce, gravy and even baked my special pecan pie. The recipes were handed down to me from My Grandma Elie and her sister Aunt Jeanie. Their cooking was to die for. I make everything from scratch since I don't like the taste of store bought food and of course, tradition.

One of these years, I'll go to Manila on Thanksgiving and celebrate it there with friends and family and even cook...with the help of a maid of course!

Now here's the most powerful man on Earth...pardoning a Turkey...


Now if you excuse me, I believe my turkey's cooked.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So when is thanksgiving in the phils? i think every sunday in mass! The eucharist, a thanksgiving to God for life and all the blessings and friends, and heartaches and challeges that go with it!